The Weir Gardens
National Trust Property.
The history of The Weir Garden dates back to the Roman times and has seen many changes in fashion throughout the centuries. The garden we see today is predominantly 1920s due to the several features installed by Roger Parr after he purchased the estate in 1920.
Roger Parr invested in the redevelopment of the pleasure grounds at The Weir garden. With the help of his head gardener, William Boulter, Parr created new walks and added planting to enhance the display of spring flowers. He built a new rustic hut, a rockery and concrete boathouse. Most importantly he built the retaining river wall to slow down the erosion caused by the river.
Parr took great pride in his garden, as he used to regularly entertain. A keen fisherman, Parr often invited his friends for salmon fishing along the Wye. From the nearby camp at Credenhill, he invited RAF officers for tea.